Child Support and Spousal Support

Child support is intended to provide for the needs of children. It can be ordered by a judge in a divorce case or in a case involving unmarried parents. Spousal support, traditionally known as alimony, is ordered in some divorce cases. In Ohio, child support and spousal support arrangements are meant to be fair, just and equitable.

If you need assistance in establishing or modifying these arrangements, either as part of a divorce or as a separate matter, I can help. As a Cuyahoga County child support attorney with 39 years of family law experience with all kinds of families, we can work together to pursue financial arrangements that meet important needs while being fair to all parties.

Child Support

In Ohio, child support is set by statute through a formula. This formula takes into account factors such as:

  • Both parents’ incomes
  • Custody and parenting time
  • Children’s essential needs and expenses, including special needs
  • Day care costs and medical expenses
  • Educational costs

Spousal Support

Spousal support is applicable in some divorce cases, and it is usually not ordered on a permanent basis. In Ohio, statutory factors are considered in determining whether spousal support will be required. Some of those factors are:

  • The age and health of both parties
  • The length of the marriage
  • Educational backgrounds and career prospects


Many people wonder if they can change the amount of support they are paying or receiving. In some cases, modification of child support modification or spousal support is possible if a person can show a change of circumstance such as an income change or a change in children’s needs.┬áIf you think your situation meets the criteria, I will discuss with you the possibility of a modification.

Contact A Cleveland Attorney For Spousal Support And Child Support | Free Consultation

In addition to having extensive experience with traditional ways of working out child support and spousal support, I work with families through my collaborative law and mediation practice to find solutions outside of court. I have assisted LGBT families whose legal needs may be different from those of other families.

Many important support questions should be answered by an experienced lawyer, not by well-meaning friends or family members, or by websites. Contact John V. Heutsche Co., LPA, for a free, confidential consultation regarding your child support or alimony matter.